Christian Education is the Christ-centered process by which the church proclaims, instructs in, and models the Gospel, Biblical content, and the Christian life and ministry. Toward this end, First Presbyterian offers a variety of educational opportunities.
Traditionally, Sunday School is our primary vehicle for instruction in God’s Word. At First Presbyterian Sunday School is a family affair. We have classes for children, youth, and several classes for adults. The Sunday School time begins at 9:30 a.m. with Coffee Hour, a time of light refreshments and fellowship in the Fellowship Hall. Classes begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. A greeter in the Fellowship Hall will be glad to assist you in choosing a class to visit. The classes and locations are:
- Nursery: Birth through Preschool – 2nd floor nursery. Teacher: Irene Davis
- Grades K-2 and 3-5 – 3rd floor classrooms.K-2 Teacher: Chariti Lowder; 3-5 Teacher: Michelle Walker
- Grades 9-12 – Youth Room, Basement of Sanctuary. Teacher: Mary Lee Evans
- Good News Class – Adult Class, lessons on teachings through the bible. Meets in the Church Session Room in the basement of the sanctuary. Teacher: Bill Jolley
- Drummond Bible Class – Adult Class, International Studies with lessons on The Sovereignty of God (Isaiah, Matthew, Hebrews, Revelation); meets in the 1st room on the right on the 2nd floor of the Education Building. Teacher: Ron Lisenby
- Disciples Class – Adult Class, studying the Book of Romans; meets in basement of the sanctuary across from the choir room. Teacher: Frank Gibson
- New Connections Class – Younger Adults, studies on individual books of the Bible; meets in the 3rd room on the right on the 2nd floor of the Education Building. Teacher: Judy Goodnight
Wednesday Evening Class – 6:30-7:30 p.m. (September-early May) – All adults not otherwise involved in Wednesday Night Life activities are invited to gather for adult Bible Studies, a stimulating study of interesting topics, stories or books, relating it all to God’s Word. Currently studying The Daniel Plan. Meets in the Fellowship Hall.
Saltshakers Bible Study – Women are invited to gather on Monday evenings at 6:30 between September and May (with occasional breaks) for an interdenominational Bible study. This ministry began with 8 women meeting together and over the years has grown into a satellite ministry that serves over 500 women in the Raleigh and surrounding areas. Facilitators will lead the lesson each week in a small group setting with lecture speaker, Sarah Knott, coming to us by satellite. Registration is necessary each year so that materials may be provided – contact the church office or Judy D. Goodnight for more information. Women of all ages are invited to attend!
Thursday Women’s Study – 10:30 a.m. Otherwise known as the “Bad Girls”, the Thursday morning women’s Bible Study meets weekly at 10:30am at the church. All women are welcome to join them as they study a range of topics, including those especially related to women.
Circle of Women Bible Study – 2nd Tuesday of each month at 2:00 p.m. – for Bible Study and fellowship. Please watch the bulletin for meeting locations.
The Sunday Women’s Circle meets monthly on Sunday afternoons – for devotions or simply dinner and fellowship. Designed to be informal, meeting dates and locations may change monthly based on the schedules of our members. Watch the bulletin for information each month and join us!
Other Christian Education Opportunities
First Presbyterian occasionally provides other educational opportunities such as marriage and family seminars or film series and special speakers.