Christian Education is the Christ-centered process by which the church proclaims, instructs in, and models the Gospel, Biblical content, and the Christian life and ministry. Toward this end, First Presbyterian offers a variety of educational opportunities.
Traditionally, Sunday School is our primary vehicle for instruction in God’s Word. At First Presbyterian Sunday School is a family affair. We have classes for children, youth, and several classes for adults. The Sunday School time begins at 9:30 a.m. with Koinonia Kafe, a time of light refreshments and fellowship in the Fellowship Hall. Classes begin promptly at 10:00 a.m. A greeter in the Fellowship Hall will be glad to assist you in choosing a class to visit. The classes and locations are:
- Nursery (2s & 3s) – 2nd floor nursery.
- Grades Pre K, K-2, 3-4, and 5-8 – 3rd floor classrooms.
- Grades 9-12 – Youth Room, Basement of Sanctuary.
- Good News Class – Adult Class, lessons on teachings through the bible. Meets in the Church Session Room in the basement of the sanctuary.
- Drummond Bible Class – Adult Class, International Studies with first quarter lessons on The Sovereignty of God (Isaiah, Matthew, Hebrews, Revelation); meets in the 1st room on the right on the 2nd floor of the Education Building.
- Disciples Class – Adult Class, studying the Book of Romans; meets in the 2nd room on the right on the 2nd floor of the Education Building.
- New Connections Class – Younger Adults, studies on individual books of the Bible; meets in the 3rd room on the right on the 2nd floor of the Education Building.
Wednesday Evening Class – 6:30-7:30 p.m. (September-early May) – All adults not otherwise involved in Wednesday Night Life activities are invited to gather for adult Bible Studies, a stimulating study of interesting topics, stories or books, relating it all to God’s Word. Meets in the Session Room in the basement of the sanctuary.
Saltshakers (New Women’s Bible Study) (Sept. 19 – May 1) We are excited to announce a new Women’s Bible Study, Saltshakers, beginning in September. Women will gather to meet on Monday evenings at 6:30 p.m. with the starting date scheduled for September 19 and an ending date of May 1 with breaks during the month of December and throughout the meeting schedule. This study comes to us from a satellite women’s ministry based in Raleigh, NC. It is an interdenominational study. This ministry began with 8 women meeting together and over the years has grown to serve over 500 women in the Raleigh and surrounding areas. Landra Goodnight Staab will facilitate the lesson each week in a small group setting with lecture speaker, Sarah Knott, coming to us by satellite. Registration is necessary so that materials may be provided. Register by completing a registration card found in the narthex or entrance to the fellowship hall, or click HERE to print one out, then drop it in the offering plate or contact Judy D. Goodnight or the church office. This is an exciting time in the life of women of First Presbyterian Church. All women of all ages are invited to attend.
Thursday Women’s Study – 10:30 a.m. (September – May) – All women are welcome to join this group of “bad girls” in fascinating books studies. Meets in the Session Room (basement of the Sanctuary). Many members of the group go out for lunch afterward.
Circle of Women Bible Study – 2nd Monday of each month at 2:00 p.m. – Sharon Cranford and Judy Goodnight are the leaders. All women are welcome to join as they begin their study of the book of John. Meets in the Fellowship Hall from September to May. During the summer months, they meet out for lunch.
Other Christian Education Opportunities
First Presbyterian occasionally provides other educational opportunities such as marriage and family seminars or film series and special speakers.